Is Home Door Replacement Something I Can Do Myself?
If you are seriously considering doing your own door replacement, let’s look at some pros and cons of replacing it on your own versus hiring someone experienced and trained to do the job.
How to Replace Home Doors:
There are many steps to replacing a front door. Here is a brief synopsis:
- Get an accurate measurement of the existing opening. This can get tricky because there are several factors to consider. Making sure you get it right is key to making this project work.
- Take off the trim, trying to salvage as much as you can as you may need it. Secondly, take out the hinge pins and unscrew the other half of the hinges. Remove the door, sill, jamb and door frame.
- Check the waterproofing and flashing. Most likely you will want to replace this.
- Next you will need to set the sill. Use a level to make sure the plate is even.
- Apply caulk and install the frame. Check that the frame is plumb and square, using shims as necessary. Nail the frame and hang the door.
- You will need to use a minimally expanding foam and caulk for insulation between the jamb and the frame.
- Add the interior casing and hardware.
- Finish up – if your new door is raw, you will need to apply a sealer.
For more detail on each of these steps, take a look here.
But what about just repairing the door? Could that be a better and easier solution? In some cases, yes, repairing your home doors can be a good temporary solution, however in most cases it’s more costly than just replacing the entire door. Door repair is usually not a good option as older doors can be warped or uneven. So just understand that in most cases, it’s best to just get your door replaced.
Who Can I Trust to Replace My Doors?
Door installation costs can be expensive even if you find someone to do the job for a cheap price. You made an investment in your home when you bought it so you want to make sure you protect that investment. A smart shopper will do their research on installation companies, making sure they have all the options you want. Take into consideration how long the company has been in business, what is their reputation and do they have good reviews. You want to make sure they carry energy efficient doors. There are many door installation companies available so do your homework.
If you are looking for door installation Northeast Florida, please consider HomeRite Windows and Doors. We provide the best cost efficient doors manufactured by Builders Hardware, Inc. All BHI doors are building code compliant and hurricane structure rated. There are a plethora of choices for your new front door including customized door glass, scroll panels and overlay art glass. With dozens of styles, colors and materials to choose from, you are sure to find just what you want for the face of your home. In addition, we carry a wide variety of hardware for your front door such as touchscreen and push button locksets and hardware and component locksets. Both HomeRite and BHI are approved by Energy Saver. With over 60 years of experience, HomeRite Windows and Doors is the best choice for door installation in Jacksonville FL. We are also a member of the United States Green Building Council, a non-profit group of industry individuals dedicated to furthering the cause of environmentally responsible building. Doesn’t this sound like the team of professionals you need to install your new front door with assurance of quality? Learn more at homeritejacksonville.com.